Author: Anita Kelley, Director, College Savings Plans, Alabama State Treasury
Congratulations on making the decision to enroll in an Enable Savings Plan Alabama! Now the next step is to actually get your plan open—and I’m here to help. Below, I’ve provided a step-by-step guide to lead you through the enrollment process.
What to do before opening an account:
- Read more about the plan at al.EnableSavings.com, including the Program Disclosure Statement, which you can find linked to at the bottom of the homepage or here.
- Choose a form of payment—either check or electronic payment—for the initial contribution.
- Select your investment options. Details about each option can be found on the investment section of our website.
- Collect the account owner’s (the individual with disabilities) information, including his or her residential street address, birth date, social security number or tax identification number, and bank account number.
- Open an account:
- If you’re opening an account for yourself, or if you are a parent or guardian of a minor, you can enroll online.
- If you are a guardian, conservator, or power of attorney of an adult account owner, you must download the enrollment form and mail it to the address on the form. Be sure to include a copy of guardianship letter or other proof of legal relationship to include with enrollment form.
To begin the online enrollment process:
First click the “Enroll” link at the top of the homepage. At any time, you can click “Save” at the bottom of each page, and your information will be saved to complete the enrollment process at another time should you wish. There is a “Tips” column on the left-hand side of the page. Refer to this if you have questions regarding a specific section.
The online enrollment process includes 6 steps. Click “Next” at the bottom of each page to move on to the next step:
- If you are opening the account for yourself—fill out information about you (the account owner/individual with disability)
- If you are a parent or legal guardian opening an account for an eligible minor—fill out information about your responsible individual
- Choose investments
- Pick a funding method
- Select a delivery option (for quarterly statements and program description updates, transaction confirmations, and tax forms)
- Establish a user name, password and security questions to for your account.
Lastly, review all information you submitted. You are able to go back to any section and make edits by clicking the “Edit” link next to that section. Then, carefully read the a “Terms and Conditions” section as well as the “Electronic Signature” section. You will then be prompted to give an electronic signature by clicking “Sign.” And that’s it—you’ve opened an Enable Alabama account.
If you have any further questions, or would prefer to speak to someone over the phone please contact us. Our customer service representatives are available Monday-Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., CT at 1-866-833-7949.